Toronto neighbourhood: Community of Fairbank, former city of York.
Fairbank - Streets
Five Corners, Fairbank PDF Print E-mail


Five Corners, Fairbank (Looking southwest)
Intersection of Dufferin Street, Eglinton Avenue and Vaughan Roads

The Rise of Eglinton Avenue (Transit Focus) PDF Print E-mail

Taken directly from:

The Rise of Eglinton Avenue

by James Bow

Eglinton Avenue started life as the third concession road north of Queen Street, well into the hinterland surrounding the old City of York. Initially, it did not run much farther than Jane Street on the west and Laird Drive on the east, as the Humber and Don river valleys respectively represented considerable barriers. West of the Humber, the corresponding concession road came to be known as Richview, and while Eglinton Avenue continued in name through Scarborough Township, it wasn’t until the 1950s when North York, Leaside and Scarborough collaborated on the construction of an extension that the two segments were joined.

Development came slowly to Eglinton, but it did come. As houses and businesses spread up Yonge Street through the 19th century, the village of North Toronto anchored itself near the Yonge-Eglinton intersection. Montgomery’s Tavern, the famous site of one of the battles of the Upper Canada Rebellion in 1837, is located just a few blocks north of here. As Toronto’s suburban development filled the townships of York and the village of Leaside, Eglinton Avenue became a commercial strip which supported these neighbourhoods. On November 19, 1924, streetcar service began as part of the Oakwood route, with cars trundling from a loop at Gilbert Avenue, east along Eglinton to Oakwood and south on Oakwood to St. Clair. Bus services started up soon thereafter, with the Eglinton bus serving the North Toronto neighbourhood effective September 14, 1930, with additional service on the Eglinton West bus operating between Oakwood and Yonge Street by 1938.

As Toronto’s suburban growth sprawled following the Second World War, Eglinton’s importance as a major thoroughfare increased. The Yonge subway opened with Eglinton station at its northern terminus in 1954, and through bus service followed soon thereafter (to Oakwood at first, and then beyond in the early 1960s. Plans were afoot to convert the Eglinton West bus to trolley coach operation (scrubbed due to opposition by residents in Forest Hill). It would have operated to Jane Street, which was where Eglinton Avenue ended, up until the late 1960s.

Then, Metropolitan Toronto bridged the Humber River, connected Eglinton Avenue to Richview Road in Etobicoke, and renamed Richview Road Eglinton. Richview itself would have been the route taken by a new expressway, connecting the 401/427 interchange with an extension of Highway 400 at today’s Black Creek Drive. In the east, the gap across the Don River had been bridged for almost 20 years, providing a wide thoroughfare across the top of the city. Traffic and development soon followed. Just as the new suburban development increased traffic on Bloor Street and Danforth Avenue, increasing ridership on the Bloor-Danforth streetcar beyond what was on Queen (which was considered, at the time, to be the city’s second most important street after Yonge), the same factors increased traffic and development along Eglinton. People could now travel across the city quickly, without having to spend time trekking down to Bloor, or contending with the congestion there. This combined with extensive commercial development around the terminus of the Yonge subway line created a vibrant “uptown” around the Yonge-Eglinton intersection, where houses had existed just a couple of decades before.

Looking West on Eglinton at Dufferin Street, 1924 PDF Print E-mail
Eglinton, Dufferin looking West
Looking East on Eglinton from Dufferin Street & Vaughan Road, 1924 PDF Print E-mail
Eglinton, Dufferin, Vaughan Road looking East
Looking East on Eglinton from Sidney (now Miranda Avenue), 1924 PDF Print E-mail
Eglinton, Sidney, Miranda
<< Start < Prev 1 2 3 4 Next > End >>

Page 1 of 4